Livecode Future

Kevin Miller kevin at livecode.com
Wed Jul 24 04:01:13 EDT 2024

Hi Heriberto,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

If those 100 users are non-commercial users, i.e. not employees or customers, then there isn't a charge. If you're building the app to sell, its a different model. With that said, if those users are employed by your company then it bears looking at the economics of this a little more closely.

Firstly, there is the time it takes you to build the app. I'm assuming you don't work for free, so this is a real cost. If we say that Flutter takes only a few times as long to build the app, this cost quickly mounts up. Any app that takes more than a week or two to build in Create is going to pay for itself in the saving of your time when compared to the new licensing costs. Then there is the ongoing cost to consider. Few apps are created perfect, most require regular changes as they encounter the real world. So you have the ongoing increase in development costs for every update PLUS the lost productivity costs of each of those users having to wait longer for each update, or ending up with an app that simply doesn't do what they need. This happens all the time. What's the wage bill for 100 employees? I have no idea what those users do so this could be way out, but if they are earning say $50K a year then that's $5M. You don't have to save very much time with a better app delivered sooner to save the licensing cost here many times over.

There is a reason we've invested tens of millions of dollars in our platform: it's to make you more productive and let you get better apps out faster. Saving development time is a direct development staff cost, getting your app and revisions out faster saves costs across your entire user base.

We'll be doing a more detailed comparison with Flutter in the coming days which will help to better illustrate this comparison.

With all of that said we'd be happy to get on a call to talk about this some more if it's helpful for either you or your boss. We can do that now, or at any point before 2027.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ kevin at livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Build Amazing Things

On 24/07/2024, 01:00, "use-livecode on behalf of Heriberto Torrado via use-livecode" <use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com <mailto:use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com> on behalf of use-livecode at lists.runrev.com <mailto:use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>> wrote:

Hi Tom,

It appears that under this licensing model, developers creating
applications for internal company use—such as for a workforce of 100
employees—would still need to pay $15,520 even with the 30% discount
applied. I hope I've misunderstood, but upon receiving the email about
Livecode Create, I considered purchasing a license to permanently move
away from the outdated "Community" version (we have a lot of silicon
Macs). However, if I have to explain to my boss that each internal user
of the Livecode-built app would cost $155.2, she would likely suggest
investing that money in a Flutter course, Lazarus IDE or to develop a
web site.

Hery