permanency of an unsigned Android app on the phone?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jul 20 23:59:59 EDT 2023

On July 20, 2023 7:48:13 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode

> J. Landman Gay jacque wrote:
>> Depending on the Android version the user
> may need to bypass
>> a scary warning, accept some permissions, and turn on
> the ability
>> to download from unknown sources in system settings
>
> ...and after the app is installed then immediatel turn sideloading back off.
>
> It's powerful.  And the bad guys know it.  Don't run with it turned on.

One nice thing about Android 13 (and I think 12?) is that it allows you to
permit downloads by app, rather than toggling a global property. That way
you don't need to turn on unknown sources in system settings. Of course,
you can still get yourself in trouble if you give permissions to your
browser and then binge download everything you see.

Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw.com