Livecode 10.0.0dp5 new reserved words

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Jul 11 08:01:40 EDT 2023

On 2023-07-11 12:28, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> Does anyone, including folks at the mothership, have a list of new
> reserved words in Livecode 10?
>
> I have used a variable called "tExt" (t for temp, Ext for extension)
> to pull of the file extension from file paths. i.e. if tFile contains
> "C:/users/paul/desktop/image.png"
>
> set itemDel to "."
> put last item of tFile into tExt -- tExt contains "png"
>
> However, in LC 10.0.0dp5, the word "tExt" (which is "text") now appears
> to be a reserved work and you can not use it as a variable. This is not
> true in LC 9.6.9.  This has me asking: Are there any other new reserved
> words I should refactor out of my code before I get mysterious errors?

I don't think we knowingly made 'text' not be allowed as a variable in
non-explicitVariables mode...

You cannot explicitly declare `tExt` as a variable in 10 or 9.x or (I
think) ever - but it obviously worked in 9.6.x and before if you don't
use explicitVariables.

I'm not sure what change we've made which has caused that - file a bug
and we'll look into it - its probably a regression, but could be a
(necessary, but unrealized) side-effect of another change we've made
internally.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Build Amazing Things