Livecode script on Raspberry pi

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 14 15:13:57 EDT 2023

Hello Heriberto -

I haven't run the old LC/ARM-Linux build in so long I have no idea how
well it works anymore. It was created as a weekend side project of an LC
staff member who's long since moved on. Back in the open source days I
tried to find someone to maintain it, but I was unable to locate anyone
who'd made a successful compile, let alone be able to maintain it with
future OS changes.

But if your current LC/ARM build runs on whatever RPi you're using,
there was never a Server build but LC has always had the ability to use
standalones as command-line apps, going al the way back to beginning in
1992. This is how we were using MetaCard/LC as our server CGI engine for
all the years before the team made the PHP-style LC Server edition.

To run an LC standalone from the command line, add a "-ui" flag, e.g.:

   /home/UserName/AppName -ui

The -ui flag prompts the engine to launch in a way that bypasses GUI
initialization.  This may be essential on many RPi units, since LC's GUI
implementation there is old and no longer in sync with the OS, so
crashes are increasingly common when attempting to run with a UI.

But since command-line is all you need you should (hopefully) be fine,
and you'll find the engine runs _very_ fast with no GUI.

Bonus: Back when Dr Peter Brett was with LC he made a nifty library for
parsing command-line arguments. To learn more on that see the GetOpt
function in the LC Dictionary.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems