Pulldownmenu button bug on Windows

Neville Smythe neville.smythe at optusnet.com.au
Thu Apr 28 23:25:26 EDT 2022

I have a pulldown menu button which has a menupick script and also a mouseLeave script.

On a Mac, when a user brings up the menu and drags the mouse down  to select a menu item (leaving the button rect but within the pulldown menu), the menupick handler is invoked, and then the mouseleave handler is called. This is what I expected.

However on Windows, the mouseleave script is called immediately the mouse leaves the button while the user is still in the process of making the selection, and then menupick is called if the user actually makes the selection.

Which means standalones behave quite differently (in my app, the menupick did something to a selection in a field, and mouseleave did something else to the selection: the order is thus critical).

They can’t both be right, so certainly one is a bug. The Mac order is IMO correct since the pulldown menu has been started by the user so the app should be in a modal state until the menu selection is resolved.

Neville