[OT] Poll: What does it mean for 1 rect to be 'within' a certain distance of another rect?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Tue Feb 16 13:20:11 EST 2021

Sean,

Thank you. I had Googles a few solutions (but missed this one:
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/2724537/finding-the-clear-spacing-distance-between-two-rectangles
- which I really like so thanks!) but I say that some were solving for
center distances and some for edges and some for other things, which is
what in part led to my original questions of:

What is the most common way people think of the distance between 2
rects? I suppost my question presumes there is a "most' common way or a
'more' common way that some others of the many you mentioned.

 From my Googling and this poll, I am seeing a slight favorite of people
most commonly thinking of the distance between rects as being between
the nearest edges or vertices.