[OT] Poll: What does it mean for 1 rect to be 'within' a certain distance of another rect?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Tue Feb 16 13:27:33 EST 2021

On 2/15/2021 5:53 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> This is an Off Topic informal poll of sorts, but related to LiveCode
> as I am writing a LiveCode expression to determine if 2 arbitrary
> rectangles (r1,r2) are with some distance d (in px) of one another. In
> considering this problem, the questions comes up: What is meant by
> rectangles being within a distance d of one another. What is the 'd'
> measured from?
>
> center to center? Easiest is many ways, but I don't think this is what
> most people would think of.
>
> adjacent edge to adjacent edge? This is harder (I think), but I think
> this is what more people intuitively think of. To me, implicit in the
> visual concept of 2 rects being within some distance of one another is
> that they are NOT overlapping, but that some gap exists between the
> nearest adjacent edges?
>
> Something else? What does 2 rects  being 'within' d pixels of one
> another mean to you, if not one of the two above options?
>
> Maybe there is a exact mathematical definition of what 2 rectangles
> being within distance d of one another is, but, if there is, I am
> unfamiliar with it.

Okay, Poll Closed!

Thank you everyone. I think the responses (informal as this is) confirms
the majority fo people think of distance between 2 rectangles as the
distance between nearest edges or vertices which is the same as saying
the *smallest* distance between any two points in the rects (mathematically)

I appreciate all the responses! (and the links and code examples!)

-- Paul