Chromebook apps?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Nov 26 02:55:35 EST 2020

Right, for Chromebooks you'd develop an Android app. I've been testing two
different client projects on Chromebooks. For the most part they run okay,
depending on the hardware. One of my apps in particular runs beautifully in
tablet mode, but if you rotate the screen to desktop mode it loses its
window coordinates and draws incorrectly. That's probably my fault, since
the app is locked to portrait orientation. In portrait mode, with
fullscreenMode on, it looks great and behaves well. If you launch it in
desktop mode it opens in a window the size of the original stack and works
fine as long as you don't try to resize the window.

But appearance and behavior can vary depending on the Chromebook. I'm
having pretty good luck with my Lenovo but my client's Asus sometimes
doesn't draw the content quite right. I can't recall the details, something
about color I think. I'd love it if LC could look at Chromebook support at
some point. It's almost there already, and as you say, Chromebook support
is almost mandatory if you are developing for the education market. In
fact, with so many schools closed down and students working remotely,
Chromebooks are in such high demand that they've become harder to find.
They're very popular. Our market is college and university students and a
lot of them use Chromebooks. When they ask, we tell them the app may run on
their Chromebook but we can't provide support.

On a more personal note, I love my Chromebook. They're very fast (they wake
from sleep before the lid is fully opened,) virtually immune to malware,
lightweight, inexpensive, and extremely portable. They've come a long way
from the time when they were basically just a big web browser.

Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw.com
On November 25, 2020 11:54:54 PM prothero--- via use-livecode