Tab Buttons Mac vs. Win

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jul 18 01:49:01 EDT 2020

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > I would LOVE to find out how Livecode for Mac draws those beautiful
 > tab buttons so I can duplicate it on Windows, because DAYAM are the
 > Windows ones ugly!

Around the turn of the century I wrote to Bruce Tognazzini, back when he
was still taking email questions.

I asked him about the proper placement of confirmation and dismissal
buttons (often "OK" and "Cancel") in cross-platform apps.  I was
familiar with his early research on how the Mac layout (confirmation on
the right) matched eye tracking studies on scanning order, and thus was
a better solution.  On Windows reading order is used (confirmation on
the left), which might seem better but not in UIs; dialog boxes just
aren't read as much as skimmed, so rather than taking in each line
individually as we do when we read, most folks more or less just scan
from upper-left to lower-right, where on Mac the action button awaits.

So I asked Tog:

"Given that the Mac way is borne out by research, wouldn't it be better
to use to Mac way in my Windows apps as well?"

He was kind enough in his reply, acknowledging that at least my heart
was in the right place with wanting to "do the right thing" by the user.
But he was also blunt: I had missed something even more important than
research.  I had overlooked the significance of user habits.

When a user spends years with an OS design, they build up a cognitive
and muscle memory, so strong that even when research shows an advantage
to a different means, the consistency winds up outweighing it.

In short, he suggested I do Windows things on Windows, and leave Mac
things on Mac.

Who am I to argue with Tog?

--
  Richard Gaskin