Live code server with Debian 8 Jesse

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Mon Jul 13 13:53:29 EDT 2020

On 7/13/20 9:28 AM, Kevin Stallibrass via use-livecode wrote:
 > Thanks Mark,
 > Debian is 64bit and I’m using the linux64 downloads of live code
server. Do I not need the 32bit libraries? Documentation is very unclear
about this. I’d presumed that live code server was still 32bit

Ah... documentation...
I just looked at the release notes. Apparently Debian 7 and 8 are all
that's officially supported. That's unfortunate.

and rereading your original post, I see you're looking at a "lesson" to
figure this out. I assume that's

http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4070/l/36652-how-do-i-install-livecode-server-on-linux-with-apache

where I see the bewildering statement

"32bit libraries are required for LiveCode server to run on a 64bit
Linux distribution"

I ran ldd on the server binary and I don't see any 32-bit dependencies.
I assume that's an old statement in the lesson and should be deleted.
Those instructions were written in 2013. I wouldn't trust them for any
recent builds. I just assume that fiddling with .htaccess would get
things working, the same as on other distros.

That said, I haven't tried to set this up on Debian so I can't really
help with this. There is (now) a longer comment from Russell Martin on
that lesson page, and it might help to follow his lead on that rather
than the outdated lesson. Even Russell's comment, though, is from some
six years ago, so YMMV.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com