Web help needed

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jul 12 14:30:38 EDT 2020

Bill Prothero wrote:
 > Sorry if this is off, but what about just transferring them with ftp?

FTP is good enough for a small number of files.  But for automating
large numbers of file transfers rsync is hard to beat, a much smarter
tool making things much more efficient.

By default, rsync will only transfer files that have changed, and even
then only transfers the portions of a file that's changed.

It can be used to sync folders locally or remotely - I run all my
backups with it, in addition to using it post files to servers from my
local master copy.

rsync is preinstalled with macOS, can be added to Windows, and is a
standard part of most popular Linux distros used on servers.

It's secure using SSH, so if you add your SSH public key to your server
(useful for a good many things) you not only get good security but it
makes it easy to automate with LiveCode's shell function.

@Michael Doub: I believe HostM uses Ubuntu, so rsync is preinstalled
there.  And since you use macOS, your copy is preinstalled on your Mac.

IMNSHO, you'll want to request SSH for any hosting service that doesn't
offer it by default.  With SSH, not only do you get to use standard
Unix/Linux utilities like rsync, scp, and others, but sooner or later
you're likely to need or want to do something on that server outside of
the limited scope of what FTP is designed for.  With shell access you
can do anything you need, just as good as having the server sitting on
your desk, even if it's thousands of miles away.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems