FFI & VLC Player

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Wed May 29 21:54:23 EDT 2019

On 5/29/19 11:38 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Tom Glod wrote:
>
>  > Hi folks, I'm trying to wrap my mind around whether its possible to
>  > integrate VLC into Livecode via the FFI in Livecode Builder.
>  >
>  > I'm not so much asking how..... but whether..... I don't want to bark
>  > up the wrong tree because I don't yet fully understand how this
>  > integration works and what its limitations are.
>  >
>  > This is to get around the codec limitations of the included Browser
>  > CEF Builds.
>  >
>  > A Yes or a No is fine.  Anything beyond that would be a bonus.
>
> VLC has a C-based API.  FFI supports, among others, C-based APIs.
>
> I'd say that should be a "yes".

Tom-

Some years ago (pre-LCB by quite a bit) I built an LC external library
to wrap the VLC functions. So yes, it's possible, and would no doubt be
easier in LCB. That said, just having the functions available doesn't do
much for being able to use them effectively. There are a *lot* of
functions you could use - if you're going to go down that rabbit hole
I'd say start with the initialization routines, see if you can at least
get an instance of the player, and then work out from there.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com