Standalone build workaround

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Wed Sep 19 18:47:21 EDT 2018

> On 20 Sep 2018, at 6:18 am, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> Building a standalone is the whole point of the process of developing with LC, and now that it's so disruptive it kills the joy of choosing LiveCode.
>
> For more than a decade I've believed making the SB into a separate process would be a good idea.
>
> It's no longer a good idea.  It's now a necessity.

Unfortunately we are caught between leaving the stack in a state where any local variables that are meant to be initialised are unset or letting the engine do its thing when the stack reopens and send messages that allow those initialisations to occur. The latter, while a big change, was considered the lesser of two evils because at least it allows you to code around the situation rather than just ending up with a stack in a state where you need to quit and restart the IDE.

Ideally, yes, standalone building (at least the parts that manipulate the open stacks causing them to need to be reverted) would be a separate process.

Cheers

Monte