Standalone build workaround

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Wed Sep 19 17:30:17 EDT 2018

Jacqueline:

 > I'm finding that the workaround is more trouble than the
 > initial issues.

Amen. This kind of workaround, I could understand if we were doing it
ourselves; although I would hope for it to be a little more elegant even
then.

But as an official workaround that comes with the product - it doesn't
work. This, and the approach that led to this, needs to be rethought.

Richard:

 > so disruptive it kills the joy of choosing LiveCode.

Yep, LC/RR started out designing the IDE (if memory serves, I do vaguely
and fondly remember the days of v1, not to mention 273) and as important
as the engine is, it's good never to forget your roots. This is the face
of LiveCode that everyone sees and experiences.
Seeing/touching/interacting really is very necessary to the user, as
important as it ever was. :)

(BTW I hasten to add, not needing another total makeover, just giving
appropriate attention to high IDE quality. Sometimes that involves
changes, other times maybe thinking twice about changes - looking before
leaping is an old but excellent philosophy. Changes don't always have to
be big. Hone is a good word for a tool.)

 > For more than a decade I've believed making the SB into a
 > separate process would be a good idea.
 > It's no longer a good idea.  It's now a necessity.

Indeed a good idea - another perhaps easy option (if it works) might be
to close the stack completely during the build, and open it again when
completely finished, or let us do so. We don't really need to see the
stack sitting there in the IDE during the build, it doesn't accomplish
anything. Either way, the current solution is not viable.

PS - one person who mentioned this issue to me a few days ago could have
had a quick fix for his project, but may have talked himself out of it.
I'm always here if needed - to talk yes, but more especially to fix. ;)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
LiveCode Training and Consulting