Standalone build workaround

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Sep 19 15:26:54 EDT 2018

On 9/19/18 1:05 PM, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:31 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
>
>> The standalone builder no longer locks messages; the docs say this:
>>
>> "As an attempt to improve this situation, the code that locks messages
>> when closing and opening stacks for standalone builds has been removed.
>> This means that where previously mainstacks would not receive openStack
>> and closeStack messages during standalone build, they now do."
>>

> Where in the docs does it say this (or what is the "situation" the code is
> trying to improve)?

The Release Notes, page 3. The situation it tries to fix:

"The standalone builder has always needed to close the stacks it builds
for reasons pretty deeply ingrained in the code. However this causes a
few problems, for example:
values in script locals become empty
behaviors are broken when the parent script is on / in a stack which closes"

I'm finding that the workaround is more trouble than the initial issues.
The stack I'm helping with has multiple open* and close* handlers, and
they all need to be updated.

I'd like a toggle somewhere so we can choose whether to use the new
build behavior. Backward compatibility is broken now. His build was
throwing dozens of errors and always failed, and he was ready to drop LC
entirely after a week trying to fix it himself.

Not everyone reads this list or the release notes, and even if he had,
the release notes are wrong.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com