[OT] Working with Android devices

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Sep 14 12:48:44 EDT 2018

I use it too on Richards advice. Just a note of caution: If you sync your device with a Nextcloud device, the Nextcloud device considers itself as the master, and your device as a backup. That means that if you then tell the Nextcloud interface to exclude a folder that has already been synced, it will DELETE THE FOLDER FROM YOUR DEVICE!!!

I've gone around and around with the devs about this, and in their view this is how it ought to be. There is a long thread about this in their forums with a lot of people chiming in with the same degree dismay and consternation as I had, and so far as I can tell, there is no intention to change this model.

There have been some suggestions about consoling into the nextcloud device and changing some parameters, or a future update adding an option to prevent Nextcloud from treating it's own copy of a folder as the master repository. I only say that to say this: be VERY CAREFUL about how you set up your initial folder syncs. DO NOT THINK sync an entire folder, *then* go back and exclude some folders. This will cause you to lose data. If you need to sync a subset of folders, create a separate sync for each of those folders.

Bob S