Livecode's CEF Builds

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Sep 11 02:00:10 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-10 10:49, Lagi Pittas via use-livecode wrote:
> Mark - can you find fault in my logic? And if not then if it is put
> into LC
> it would have a setting for include/exclude as with the other
> libraries.

There is not fault in your logic (for the most part) - it is indeed
something we have discussed internally briefly, but that doesn't mean we
are anywhere near doing anything about it as yet...*

We could potentially at some point look at licensing the MPEG LA patent
pool for some or all commercial builds of LiveCode - however this would
only cover the IDE engine - which requires activation to use, hence
meaning we have a precise user count for the purposes of the patent pool
licensing.

The patent license would not extend to using the proprietary CEF build
in standalones - that would need to be unlocked after someone had
demonstrated to us that they had correctly licensed the MPEG LA patent
pool and were accounting for users correctly. (A somewhat similar
situation used to exist with GIF encoding in MetaCard before the LZW
patent dropped).

> I'm sure if i sold 100,000 of anything at $499  - $25,000 would be
> petty
> cash.

Hah! Indeed.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

* I'd point out here that building and maintaining custom CEF builds is
not a small endeavour either time-wise or resource-wise so before
undertaking such a thing we need to make sure it is actually
'worth-while' in terms of ROI.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps