Livecode's CEF Builds

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Sep 9 15:47:40 EDT 2018

Tom Glod wrote:

 > On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 1:36 PM Mark Waddingham wrote:
 >
 >> H264 is patent encumbered - in order to distribute software
 >> containing an implementation you need to license the MPEG-LA patent
 >> pool.
 >>
 >> That's why you won't find any public CEF prebuilts with the flag
 >> enabled.
 >
 > If I do that ..... I then have to make my own build of CEF, My own
 > build of Livecode, and then build my standalones?  What could go
 > wrong?....

Patent litigation.

The licensing around h.264 is complex enough that the owning patent
pool, MPEG-LA, has put together an FAQ to help navigate its rules:
http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/AVC/Pages/FAQ.aspx

Numerous lay articles have been written to help consumers and developers
try to navigate that legal minefield:

H.264, patent licensing, and you
https://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/know-your-rights-h-264-patent-licensing-and-you/

A closer look at the costs (and fine print) of H.264 licenses
https://www.zdnet.com/article/a-closer-look-at-the-costs-and-fine-print-of-h-264-licenses/

H.264 patents: how much do they really cost?
https://www.zdnet.com/article/h-264-patents-how-much-do-they-really-cost/

Oh so many more:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=h.264+patent+licensing

--