3WDevolution question

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 6 04:15:50 EDT 2018

William Prothero wrote:

 > Richard:
 > Here’s what I found on the palette thing. I’m no longer worried about
 > the backdrop because it was just me not seeing that there was a LC
 > toolbar menu item that would turn it off. In fact, I may have been
 > blaming Devo incorrectly, when it was LC’s responsibility.
 >
 > If you, in 9.0.1 RC 2 or 3, drag the 4W toolbar to the right, lift the
 > mouse, then drag it back to the left, I see it refusing to be dragged
 > fully to the left. In LC 8.2.0, it acts normally, but in  LC 9.0.1
 > RC3, it won’t return all the way left. It seems like it’s trying to
 > leave space for the IDE Tools palette, but it doesn’t matter whether
 > it’s visible or not.

I see what's happening there.  It appears the IDE team is attempting to
use a floating palette in a highly unusual way: rather than floating on
top of a document, it's assumed to be placed at the left and when it is
the windowBoundingRect is adjusted so that no other windows can be
placed in a way that overlap it.  When the tool palette is moved to any
other location sufficiently away from the left edge, the
windowBoundingRect is apparently restore to the normal bounds everyone
normally expects.

You will find that the IDE's change to the windowBoundingRect affects
all windows when using the maximize option for a window.

This affects the dragging of 4W devolution's window because I have a
customized appearance with my own title bar, and have scripted the
dragging behavior to account for the windowBoundingRect so the window
cannot be submarined beneath the menu bar or the Dock.

In my own work, I spend relatively little time with the IDE's tool
palette open. Layout normally occupies just a bit of up-front time, with
most of my time spend scripting the objects I'd laid out.  And of course
since the devo palette has its own controls for creating the two most
commonly-used objects, buttons and fields, sometimes I go weeks without
ever opening the IDE's tool palette at all.

And since devo makes it more convenient to open and close the IDE's tool
palette with its generously-sized toggle buttons for the most common IDE
windows, I find that when I do use the IDE's tool palette it's just to
create an object or two and then I put it away again until I need it.
It takes up a LOT of room for something used so seldom during the
workflow; making it easy to access it ONLY WHEN I NEED IT was part of
the motivation for making devo.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems