Contractors and open source software

Mark Talluto mark at canelasoftware.com
Tue Sep 4 19:07:02 EDT 2018

I had to work through a contract recently. This particular section was interesting. Thought I would share it here. I changed the organization name to [company] to protect this well respected entity.

I can understand their view on the use of open source software. What are your thoughts?

- - -
Public Software. Contractor will inform [company] in advance of incorporating any open source software into deliverables or services provided to [company] under this Agreement, provide [company] with an analysis of alternative options that do not include open source software, and will proceed with the use of open source software only to the extent of [company]’s written consent. To the extent Contractor incorporates permitted open source software into products or services provided to [company] under this Agreement such open source software (and/or Contractor’s inclusion thereof) will not require any software developed or delivered under the Agreement to be disclosed or distributed in source code form or made freely available to others.
- - -

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
livecloud.io <http://livecloud.io/>