[off] Do me a solid

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Thu Oct 4 07:59:51 EDT 2018

Friends,

I have been silent for a while but I am now getting more active here again.
I've recently moved to London so if people want to go to a Pub or organize
an LC meetup, I am game.

Now back to business, I am an active member of the decentralized web
movement and more visible through my efforts on the Secure Scuttlebutt[1]
community and the Mozilla experiment called Libdweb[2].

I was at the Decentralized Web Summit this year where Tim Berners-Lee was
present promoting Solid. You can see all recorded sessions from the
event[3] or jump straight to his video about solid[4].

BELOW YOU WILL READ SOME STRONG PERSONAL OPINIONS:

In my humble opinion the dweb and dapp movement can be categorized into two
large camps and most solutions/communities tend to fall under one or
another, even though some span both camps. One camp is the "solution with
economic incentives" and in this category we place all the cryptocurrency
backed stuff, all those little blockchains with tokens, ICOs, DAGs,
cryptolattice structure marvels that no-one uses but everyone hopes to get
rich with. This is where the money is and most of the stuff is vaporware
made to promote ICOs, foster speculation and make someone (who is usually
not you) rich. Still, there is good stuff in here, bitcoin is pretty nice
as a "currency", dogecoin is fun to play with but no one will get rich,
ethereum has a nice momentum.

The other much less visible camp, which is the one I am mostly interested
in, is the "solution without economic incentive" where people are building
stuff that not necessarily relies on blockchains or tokens or any form of
currency. It is usually peer-to-peer stuff that, by design, prevents
censorship, tracking and in some cases makes really hard to monetize
anything. In this camp you'll find Secure Scuttlebutt, IPFS, Dat, Beaker
Browser (which is DAT).

Some solutions span both camps such as the offerings by protocol labs,
where IPFS, libp2p, etc fall into the second camp but their filecoin fall
into the first one, and that is OK. Or holochain which provides a platform
for you to build your on decentralized stuff even with coins and tokens.

During one of the online conferences we had for LiveCode Global this year,
I presented a TOY version of a Scuttlebutt-like protocol that allowed
people to build decentralized desktop apps with LiveCode. If the HQ accept,
they could share this video with all the community, it gives a nice little
toy intro to the concepts.

Anyway, there is a ton of stuff happening in this space, solid is not the
only game in town.

Best
Andre

[1]: https://scuttlebutt.nz
[2]: https://github.com/mozilla/libdweb
[3]: https://decentralizedweb.net/videos/
[4]:
https://decentralizedweb.net/videos/talk-solid-empowering-people-through-choice/

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 12:24 AM Kay C Lan via use-livecode <

http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.