variable xref

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Mar 30 12:42:40 EDT 2018

I think we are not seeing the elephant in the room here. Programming languages work because a great deal of effort has been exherted defining what we MEAN when we SAY something to the computer. In fact the whole process of writing software is precicely that of removing all ambiguity. It's true that on the surface it appears that we can tell the computer what we want and it can interpret what we mean, but only because under the hood someone wrote code that says in effect, given all these inputs, produce this output. That process is after all at it's heart a binary one.

The fact that we are not constantly aware of this is why some men are able to believe that "artificial" intelligence means "actual" intelligence. The only intelligence a computer can posess is that of the developer and the end user. Anything else is an illusion. A grand one I grant, but still it's only the old smoke and mirrors of the ancient sorcerers. The "magic" is making sure no one sees what the sorcerer is actually doing while his subjects are distracted by something else.

Let the flaming begin! ;-)

Bob S