Fun with Windows 10

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 09:33:57 EDT 2018

Read my previous reply . . .

On 14/8/2018 4:13 pm, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode wrote:

> Quickest route might be LC 6.7.
>
> No matter which version, 6 8 9, if you can, turn off ALL update
> preferences/options.

*That would have been very difficult indeed as I was 100% unable to get
at anything.**
**On launching LC 8, after the splash screen there was nothing. I could
not even raise the MessageBox**
**even though the Windows resource manager told me LiveCode was still
running.**
**
**The simple fact was that all versions of LiveCode did not come up with
any of the GUI**
**because:**
**
**1. Pirate version of Windows 10 with NO anti-virus anything: probably
had great big holes in its underpants.**
**
**2. System loaded with tons of pirated games.**
**
**3. Returned the machine, said a fair few strong words anent piracy,
and will NOT touch any kid's machines**
**with Windows in Bulgaria again: learnt a nasty lesson.*

> Check Task Manager and end any stray LC processes, especially an
> "Installer" or "Setup" process which is usually just an update check,
> but causes tons of issues. Furthermore I often deleted that setup file
> (it's .setup.exe in each IDE folder) and that's what you can do if you
> can't access the prefs.
>
> Sometimes LC on Windows didn't launch correctly right after install -
> just end any processes, don't reinstall, and normally launch. Then it
> works.
>
> Note that none of this "fun" is actually about Windows itself, it's
> just less LC familiarity and support for Windows, and perhaps fewer LC
> users on that side.
>
> I switched to Windows soon after the point when Mac abandoned its
> original rigorous human interface research, because I have a little
> less fine motor control than the average person and Window provides a
> little more real estate for some of the controls.

*I switched to Linux when I couldn't afford the vast expense of buying
Macintosh machines . . .**
**
**and found that Linux is much, much better than either Macintosh or
Windows insofar as it allows**
**even uncoordinated types like myself very "fine motor control" with
tweaking the system to the way I like things.*

> That made Windows easier for me to use, just as the original HIG-aware
> Mac was easier than Windows. Yes, it was that simple! And very
> affordable, another helpful factor. Both companies have sort of lost
> the plot, so besides human interface and affordability, I don't have a
> dog in that race otherwise. :)

*Apple got too big for their boots and fell in love with marketing their
expensive toys to Paris Hilton knock-offs.*

> Best wishes,
>
> Curry Kenworthy

*Thanks for your best wishes: but at the moment a stiff cup of strong
black coffee and a blast of music by Thomas Arne**
**are already soothing my troubled breast.**
**
**Richmond.*