not really OT: The Coming Software Apocalypse

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 11:36:48 EDT 2017

Hi All,

Lagi Pittas wrote:
> That's why I said the Function part would be good -
> basically a LIVE interactive debugger - the coding
> to do all the rest in a REAL programming language
> rather than an animation studio or a testbed is way
> out of my league - But given time and money anything
> is possible...

Does exists a programming tool that provides the developer
with a complete (but optional) battery of tests that run while
opening the application or on user request after the application
is opened?

For many years, we have seen in this mail list (and previous
mail list) how developers are completely baffled by applications
that run fine in most computers, but fail consistently in a very
few machines. Check the archives. You will find many instances
of this scenario. How it is that possible at all?

In theory, a program that do not find the resources needed
should NOT run at all, but for some reason, programs produced
in this platform try their best to work in any computer, even
without confirming that it could run.

Should we ask that LiveCode refuse to run if any machine
does not comply at 100% with requisites? No...
I think that we need better error reporting capabilities
and a complete (but optional) battery of tests to run on devices
that do not run our programs as expected.

Could I suggest a name for this battery test?
The name could be something like: "common ground"

In the 90's, Common Ground was a digital paper pioneer
company that competed (and lose) against Adobe Acrobat.
Still today, you could find common ground digital papers
on the web:
http://www2.ucsc.edu/mlrg/mlrgtools.html
(Windows  and PPC Mac digital paper readers)
http://www2.ucsc.edu/mlrg/proc3abstracts.html
(Common Ground digital papers)

Have a nice week!

Al