Rant on my favourite topics : LC server with a side-dish of on-rev :-)

Matthias Rebbe matthias_livecode_150811 at m-r-d.de
Tue Nov 21 05:23:59 EST 2017

> Am 21.11.2017 um 01:59 schrieb Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com <mailto:use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>>:
>

> True, the GPL does not consider access across a network to be "distribution" per se.  After all, the code never leaves the server. This is how MySQL is available at most hosting companies.
>
> The proprietary edition of LiveCode Server would only be needed in cases where you plan to distribute the server engine along with your scripts for use by a customer on their own server.
>
> If one wants a GPL-flavored license which does include network access as a protected class of use, the GNU Affero General Public License (AGPL) can be a good choice:
> <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.en.html <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.en.html>>

Richard,

just out of interest:

Is that part of the Livecode FAQs <https://livecode.com/resources/support/ask-a-question/> wrong?

The wording regarding apps needing additional code on a server to work is this:
Q: My App uses code running on a server in order to work, do I need to publish that code as part of the app?
A: If your code on the server is an integral part of making your LiveCode based software work then it is linked with the app, and forms a part of the code you must release if you are using LiveCode Community. This would apply in the same way if you were using LiveCode as a front-end to a command-line utility, linking it via shell().
In general, if any part of your app is released under the GPL license, all of it needs to be GPL, you cannot mix open and closed source in your app.

Regards,
Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
Tel +49 5741 310000