Android policy update

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu May 18 09:17:41 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-18 15:00, Colin Holgate via use-livecode wrote:
> The things that you’re talking about, involving an app updating
> itself, does that currently get past Apple review? That would be an
> argument to use with Google, in that Apple have usually been tougher
> about this.
>
> Also, does Google’s policy suggest that you can’t even update an image
> in the app?

I think the web-page which Jacque linked to is much too vague - it
doesn't define any of the terms it uses, and contradicts itself as
mentioned
in my previous post.

One thing to find out is what the actual text of the agreement you have
to click through to sign says - I'd imagine that's where the *actual*
T&Cs
are.

As written, a conservative interpretation of that text would suggest no,
you
cannot update an existing image in an app - as that is technically
modifying yourself.

Similarly, it says that you can't 'modify, replace or update' other than
via
the Google Play Store - isn't downloding content modifying the app
technically
speaking?

Of course, I'm splitting hairs here slightly - the intent of the policy
is
crystal clear here, they are trying to ensure that apps cannot leverage
vulnerabilities which were not known at the time the app was submitted
to the
app store.

However, the text on that page is too ill-defined to be *any*
sort of binding agreement - so I hope there's a stricter version.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps