Android & LC advice

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Apr 30 17:06:44 EDT 2017

On 4/30/17 3:49 AM, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:
> Do folks know if there are specific Android devices that play nicely
> or badly with LC?  If not, can I just proceed on the basis of keeping
> costs low?
>
> If you could specify a single device for end users, which would you
> choose?  Would the need to use 3 / 4G change the recommendation?

As Richard said, it all depends on what the app does. If it relies on
lots of multimedia, you need something with a faster CPU and graphics
card than if it is just going to present some fields and buttons. If it
needs good internet access, I've seen differences just between my two
Samsung phones, the newer phone naturally is faster than the older one
and connects more reliably to networks with weaker signal strength.

The need for 3/4G doesn't matter, the OS handles the type of data
connection based on what's available. If there is wifi available it will
use that, otherwise it falls back to cell data.

I don't know of any Android devices that flat-out won't work with LC,
but some may work better than others. In general you get what you pay
for. A cheap phone will work but may not have the power or features you
need. Your best bet is to list the features the app requires and then
see which phones provide those features. Then compare cost vs. performance.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com