Macintosh support

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 07:34:54 EST 2016

"LiveCode 9 may still run on OS X 10.7, for the time being"

It does, cheers, cheers!

Having just invested 190 Euros in a 2006 Intel iMac (max OS 10.7) I am
extremely
happy about this.

Personally I couldn't care less about "Official Support": if I make a
c*ck up I'll take the
responsibility.

"highly-exploitable vulnerabilities": possibly; but on a limited budget
I'm very excited about my "new" Mac, and as it is not going to be
connected to the internet . . . and why on earth would a hacker waste
his/her time exploiting vulnerabilities of an antiquated OS anyway? . .
. I really could not care less
about them.

There is a little bird that keeps whispering in my lug that
"highly-exploitable vulnerabilities" is a phrasae
that is largely of value insofar as it keeps driving people to shell out
more money to buy more
machines:

as the cheapest iMac on the European market currently retails at 1,250 Euros

[ http://www.apple.com/de/shop/buy-mac/imac ]

and runs an OS (10.11 ~ 10.12) that has a GUI I just do not like
(Steve Jobs died, and while he went, arguably, to heaven, the Mac GUI
went to hell)

and I don't have 1,250 Euros extra dosh, 190 Euros for a lovely,
polycarbonate 21 inch
iMac that runs 10.7 (sits right next to my G5 iMac that runs 10.4 so I
can dig in Hypercard
stacks and copy code directly into LC stacks, and use Appleworks) seems
pretty good,
even at the risk of "highly-exploitable vulnerabilities".

As I often check my email and so on using Classilla

[ http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/ ]

on my G3 iMac running Mac OS 9, I feel that 10.7 is "way ahead" :)

This afternoon (Sunday) I have a load of hippy-trippy teenagers who I
have, somehow, got hooked
on Livecode, coming over to my flat for coffee, coding and a look at the
"new" Mac, as my favourite
importer (who has supplied all the machines for my school over the last
10 years) has just got
a job lot (possibly a "Jobs" lot . . .) of 2006 iMacs (17 inch screens
for 125 Euros, 20 inch screens for
190 Euros), and those kids would love an iMac, but are, in Bulgaria, at
the bottom of the European
financial treacle well, I am very happy that I can tell them that the
machines will work with the LC 8 series, and witht he currect LC 9 dp
release.

I have had reports of my Devawriter Pro screwing up on Macs, so I shall
now be building my Mac builds on the Intel iMac rather than on the Linux
box.

Richmond.