Revenue and the Open Source edition

Tim Bleiler bleiler at buffalo.edu
Wed May 4 11:10:13 EDT 2016

> On May 4, 2016, at 10:19 AM, Mike Kerner <MikeKerner at roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
> Tim,
> I would hope that they would do that, too, because that seems like a good
> compromise, but I am not sure they will be able to do it for Community
> because of the FOSS issues.

Right, the community edition probably can’t be used with that kind of product. My thought was that they could determine a fair price to offer separately to other paid license holders. Since it’s already developed it seems that any way they can increase sales, the better. This would also be true for future widgets. I expect they’ll eventually offer a basic paid license and a variety of packages of widgets and services combined with funding community projects through the Feature Exchange. Hopefully, the widget feature and Livecode Builder will generate contributions from the company and the community of both free and paid enhancements to Livecode. For example, Richard mentioned the opportunity for a simpler pdf viewer in his response (Community PDF Project quoted below).

Tim Bleiler, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer, HSIT
University at Buffalo