Installing metacard on linux - cmd line or?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Mar 26 19:19:51 EDT 2016

I forgot one detail:

Eric A. Engle wrote:
 > ...really hate the fact that new stacks and old stacks are
 > incompatible.

As with all versions of MetaCard, stacks created with earlier version
can be run in a more recent version.

And as with all versions of MetaCard, an older engine won't be able to
recognize the format used by a newer engine, since of course the newer
format didn't exist when the older engine was written.

But unlike all versions of MetaCard, you can choose "Save As" from the
LC IDE's File menu and choose a format version you want the stack to be
saved with.

All formats going back more than a decade are supported.  Of course if
you use new objects or object properties those will be lost when saving
to a format that doesn't support them, but of course if you're writing
new code to take advantage of new properties you'd probably want to keep
using a newer format anyway.

Better still:  once you've use the IDE's "Save As" and selected an
earlier format, any time you use File -> Save in the IDE it'll continue
to save the stack in that format.

So while we've always had to be mindful when adopting a new format since
my earliest days with MC back in '98, now we have more flexibility with
moving between current and older versions of the engine than we've ever
had before.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems