Speaking of package managers...

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Mar 23 02:52:45 EDT 2016

On 03/22/2016 11:00 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:

>> On 23 Mar 2016, at 4:39 PM, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:
>>
>> Well, yes, but this seems like an npm registry problem. If you're going to allow something silly like "unpublish" after something's already out in the wild, and then not allow republishing the same version, then that's just asking for trouble.
>

> I suspect there would need to be some kind of takedown procedure. None of us need LiveCode Ltd. to be on the hook for someone’s copyright infringement.

Well, first of all, there's nothing in this about copyright infringment.
The takedown request was about a trademarked name, and that's a pretty
ridiculous charge (IANAL) since there's no possible confusion between
the two packages.

Secondly, the part I'm railing about is the "unpublish" mechanism in
particular... in an open source world, it should be possible to replace
a package with a different package. Allowing a developer to remove a
package from a public repository *and* expressly forbidding its
replacement is dumb and shortsighted. There. I've said it.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com