Sample Stacks Stack in Livecode 8 - Gone ?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 18 19:53:13 EDT 2016

Monte Goulding wrote:
 > So the argument against a Zip based format is mainly the fact that
 > zip support is via an external?

Not entirely, but yes, the cumbersome calls needed to work with Zip and
the next to drag the revZip externals around are a part of it.

 > The compressed arrayEncode format would still need somewhere to save
 > it as a file.

Of course.  It's a data file.  We expect to move data files around.  But
I ship a lot of apps as a single file, and if this packaging is as
useful as I'd like to imagine it will be I'd love to use it with my
truly-stand-alone standalones.

 > The biggest issue I can see with it is non-LiveCode
 > engine based build tools will be more complicated to implement.

Exactly. LC's arrays are beautiful, flexible, and fast.

LibreOffice, ePub, and others use Zip because they need to consider
interoperability and Zip libs are common.  Here we have no such
encumbrance, just LiveCode doing LiveCode, so I'm hoping we can enjoy
something engine-based.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems