Re: Re: ≠ or not equal

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 16 10:18:49 EDT 2016

RM wrote:
 > So what? Big deal! Hardly worth the fuss!
 >
 > I just tried this:
 >
 > on mouseUp
 >     put fld "fff" into FFF
 >     if FFF is not 1 then
 >        put "NOPE"
 >     else
 >        put "YEP"
 >        end if
 > end mouseUp
 >
 > So it really doesn't matter that '≠' doesn't work in Linux.

Or:

   if FFF <> 1 then

I don't believe "≠" has ever been documented as a working token at all
in LiveCode, supported only for imported HyperCard stacks back in the
day.  Since HyperCard's been gone nearly 20 years we don't see many
imports these days, and the universally-supported "<>" alternative takes
only one extra character.

It'll be nice to see this supported elsewhere now that it's in Unicode,
but doesn't seem much of a deal-breaker if it's a back-burner task in
light of more pressing priorities (e.g., could I just play a video
reliably on Windows and Linux please?).

If we were to look for not-equal-to operators that affect large numbers
of people, it might be worth considering supporting "!=", since a
majority of other languages support so for today's audience (and more
importantly tomorrow's) that habit impacts orders of magnitude more
developers than an old HyperCard-specific token.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems