Look and Feel in LC8

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 16:35:57 EST 2016

Hi All,

Today, I could barely breathe but don't worry. Asthma was my childhood
problem that is just
menacing to return. Now I have better knowledge and mental resources to
recover faster :)

On 03/12/2016 09:09 AM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> Sadly, SVG integration has had to be dropped
> from the LiveCode 8.0 release.

Then,
On 12.03.2016 19:30, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Eh?

Finally,
On 03/12/2016 09:09 AM, Richmond wrote:
> Here we go again.

LiveCode Developer Team discovered that SVG is not your everyday vector
graphics standard.

SVG was Adobe's idea to replace Macromedia Flash with an open standard.
So, just try to imagine everything that SVG was/is supposed to do.
In theory, you should be able to recreate any Shockwave Flash movie using
SVG (and Javascript). Only in theory.

Some months ago, we had a similar opinions exchange. Back then, I wrote that
LC team would
implement a bitmap image SVG viewer for SVG Basic or SVG Tiny specifications
without implementing interaction, hyperlinking and animation:

https://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/conform.html
There are two sub-categories of Conforming SVG Viewers:
Conforming Static SVG Viewers and Conforming Dynamic SVG Viewers

Conforming Static SVG Viewers support the static language features of SVG
that correspond to the feature string
"http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/feature/1.2/#SVG-static" (see Feature
strings).

This category often corresponds to platforms and environments which only
render static documents, such as printers...

Ok, now you want to learn my opinion: How could RunRev implement SVG Basic
or SVG Tiny in LC 8?

Similar to other media: Images, Sounds and Movies.
Set the SVGdata of Image id 1523 to mySVGfile...

When you import a SVG into LC, the engine renders a bitmap static image of
the vector file.

This image could be resized and the engine reads vector data again and
paints the bitmap
representation of this SVG as an image.

Do you want to create an animation from a series of static SVG files?

Use a repeat structure, just like we use to animate a PNG image.

Please, Runrev do not try, not even try to import editable SVG as single
vector controls. Neither provide an internal visual editor for SVG files.
Remember that LC does not includes either and Editor for movies,
sounds and images.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Alejandro