I need to write an external for LiveCode in C++, but I doubt my ability to do it.

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Sun Mar 6 21:10:24 EST 2016

> On 7 Mar 2016, at 10:36 AM, Jonathan Lynch <jonathandlynch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I will try to find a way, though. I am just hoping for advice so that I can
> avoid any more blind alleys.

The documentation is quite sparse for externals, however, I think that’s the way you will need to go to get the speed you need. There are more examples online now than there ever have been so I would start by reviewing the source of the externals in the LC repo and then look at those in my account and if you search GitHub for LiveCode I’m sure others will pop up like the SSH external.

I have a couple of externals that mess with imageData and they can be quite quick although they are only used in screen resolutions so if you have very large images that will slow them down obviously. Depending on what you are doing though I might be inclined to look at an OpenCV external. I believe with OpenCV you can green screen live camera feeds so it’s pretty fast.

Cheers

Monte