calling Livecode from other languages

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Feb 5 16:59:13 EST 2016

Dr. Hawkins wrote:

 > I've seen a couple of references to "script only stacks".
 >
 > Are these just pieces of code?  Outside of a standalone, would they
 > be used as library stacks, or ????

They were introduced in the v6.7 series (6.7.4?), allowing a plain text
file that begins with a specific declaration to be used as stacks.

The declaration is:

   script <stackname>

e.g.:

   script "revcommonlibrary"

You'll find many of these in your LC folder in
<lcversion>/Toolset/Libraries/

Not only are they useful as libraries, but behaviors have been extended
to allow stacks now as well, so you can use script-only stacks for all
generalized code.

Script-only stacks allow us to design projects in which code is mostly
in plain text files; we still get to enjoy the script editor, but can
also directly integrate our work with workflows based around most common
version control tools, like GitHub, in which UI files can e slender
binaries with little or no code and everything else is plain text.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems