OT: Need better hardware vs need better software.

Jim sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Mon Aug 1 21:59:07 EDT 2016

But if they just work smarter with what they have the POLITICIAN cannot
boast: "I'm getting the latest and greatest stuff for you, planning ahead
for you, and new business will want to come HERE instead of THERE!!

Our PIPE is gonna be a big pipe, ten times bigger pipe than our neighbors
dinky little pipe. It will be a huge pipe!! Guess who will pay for that big
new pipe? THEY will pay to build it!

While your explanation about compression and timing makes sense to most
people on this list, BIG pipe is an easier and sexier sell for the
politician.

Explain and tout big pipe vs image compression and smarter utilization of
we have. Which is better and easier for a Politician to understand and
explain - to sell.

Maybe it's a Human, Political Problem Jim!

Just say'n

sims

--

On Monday, August 1, 2016, Alex Tweedly <alex at tweedly.net> wrote:

> I recently listened to an episode of BBC Radio 4's "Peter Day's World of
> Business" (A podcast series I highly recommend), about Chattanooga
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03wxx6w
>
> Chattanooga is a US city which used to be very much a heavy industry and
> transport city, and has suffered job losses and economic hard times; it has
> a (not unusual for the US) public (i.e. city-owned) utility company, which
> has recently installed Gigabit Fibre Internet throughout the city.
>
> One of the items on the program discussed the benefits of Gig Internet (as
> in "is it actually important ?"). The example given was a radiographer's
> office; each radiographer needs to download and examine multiple high-res
> images. Because it's the US, these are typically NOT in-house or on-campus
> downloads, they are from separate businesses (hospitals, clinics, ...) and
> hence they are downloaded and viewed over the Internet; other countries
> might have different contexts :-)  They are definitely high-res, and cannot
> (by law) be compressed (*), so each examination will require multiple 10-40
> Mbyte images to be transferred.
>
> The discussion of the saving from Gig-Internet (versus "ultrafast
> Internet" - say 20 - 40 Mbit rates) was interesting. For a typical
> examination, download times are cut from 6-7 seconds to 1/2 second; and
> both image sizes and the number of images per examination are increasing
> constantly.
>
> Since a typical radiographer does 20,000 exams per year, this gives a time
> saving of one man-week per year - and hence easily justifies the cost of
> using / installing Gig-Internet. And the hard-to-quantify but definitely
> important saving is in decreasing the distraction or loss-of-focus from
> those small delays.
>

> So - this is all sounding good, and everyone should try to get a Gig
> Internet connection. As a Cisco shareholder, I like that idea :-)
>
> However, part of me knows that this is the wrong conclusion. "It's a
> software problem, Jim"
>
> It's well known that a radiographer will examine multiple sets of images
> per day or per hour - there's no reason why they shouldn't be pre-loaded
> or  pre-cached on site, or even on the individual PC being used - or indeed
> directly within the app being used, so that they are *instantly* available.
> Very, very occasionally there might be a last-minute emergency scan to be
> examined - but the 99.999% case is predictable and cachable.
>
> So - if you are developing apps of any kind - think about whether or how
> or when you can predict users' needs and actions, and make full use of the
> new async features of Livecode Indy/Business to do this as needed :-)
>
> -- Alex.
>
> (*) they can be compressed - but they cannot be compressed with any lossy
> algorithm (e.g. JPG images). The original version of the laws said "cannot
> be compressed in any way"; it took a LONG time and lots of effort to
> [...]

Sent from my iPodo - it makes weird spelling sometimes :-P