OT: Need better hardware vs need better software.

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 23:21:20 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Jim sims <sims at ezpzapps.com> wrote:
>BIG pipe is an easier and sexier sell for the
> politician.

Unless you are Indian (from India, not American)

Years ago I had a job in Bombay (back when it was Bombay not Mumbai)
and each day as I travelled to and from the site I passed a massive
drainage project. Basically the project had started somewhere in the
countryside and involved a line of 12ft diameter x 20ft long
prefabricated concrete pipes. About 10 of these pipes lay on the side
of a hole that was being dug. As the hole was readied a concrete pipe
was rolled in, and a new concrete pipe was delivered to the font of
the line of pipes laying topside. And so the snake of 10 topside pipes
slowly made it's way from the start of the project to the end, a
facility in downtown Bombay.

The week I was in Bombay this was a massive political storm. The
reason; the BIG pipe provided excellent shelter and so quickly became
the home of about 20 people. The entire snake of pipes housed about
200 homeless. As each pipe was rolled into the hole the inhabitants
would vacant and move into the newly arrived pipe. But this wasn't the
cause of the outcry, no the cause of the outcry was the lack of
foresight; you see a 'smart' person would have started the project in
Bombay and finished up in the countryside, thereby moving 200 odd
homeless people out of the City and into the countryside rather than
the other way around!