Linux software suggestions

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 05:39:18 EDT 2015

On 09/20/2015 11:52 AM, AndyP wrote:
> I'm about to turn a Dell 5150 which is sitting collecting dust into my very
> first Linux based machine!
>
> This will be an open source software only machine.
>
> I've always been Windows based so have decided to go for Mint with Cinnamon
> distro as it looks like it will be easier for me to transition too.

Well, personally I prefer Xubuntu as I have had a few major upsets with
Cinnamon.

> Apart from LiveCode Community what others Open source software would those
> of you who are Linux based recommend?
>
> E.g. best email client, office suite, ftp client, graphics prog, browser,
> etc..etc..

1.  Thunderbird e-mail client: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

2.  LibreOffice 5: https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/

3.  I only use an ftp client on an ancient Macintosh: sorry.

4.  GIMP for bitmap: http://www.gimp.org/

      Inkscape for vectors:  https://inkscape.org/en/

5.  Firefox browser.

6.  VLC for all video files.

7.  Transmission for torrents.

8.  Ubuntu Tweak for cleaning out the basement (works on all Debian
deriv. distros): http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

9.  Simple Scan for . . . wait for it . . . scanning.

> Also how is LiveCode doing with 64bit Linux, any problems or parity issues?
>
> Looking forward to your suggestions :-)

Have a lovely time!

Richmond.