AW: AW: How do you handle the poor performance of LC 7?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat May 30 15:30:42 EDT 2015

On 05/30/2015 10:54 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> If we were in a more optimistic mood, we could say:
>
>    LiveCode 7 is very good at exposing suboptimal algorithms.

Yep. And for dp or rc builds I think that's a good thing.
But not for 'stable' releases.

> That most stuff works without any noticeable difference at all is pretty
> good, even if we can expect to find a handful of edge cases where
> optimizing the algorithm may be needed.

The problem is that "pretty good" isn't good enough for LiveCode
positioning itself in the marketplace, and that bodes ill for all of us
who hope for its continued existence. We old-timers are more willing to
accept some of the flaws, the degradations in performance, the
long-standing bugs, the lack of features, etc. Folks investigating LC as
a development platform won't be as forgiving.

> If moving into the present with LiveCode 7 seems like a lot of work,
> talk to Python 2 fans migrating their code to Python 3. ;)

Heh. Yeah. Python is quite particular about versions. I've had to move
my code to Python 3.3, not just 3.2 any more, because there were too
many incompatibilities.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com