How to access a file on a remote computer

Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Sun Jan 18 23:15:51 EST 2015

I have a number of apps that talk to a server over the LAN

I used to always keep this appleScript in a customProp

tell application "Finder"
mount volume "afp://192.142.103.8/Varuna" as user name "MyName" with
password "MyPassword"
end tell

and either

hardwire my user name and password to the script or  use replacement
strings like this:

tell application "Finder"
mount volume "afp://192.142.103.8/Varuna" as user name "###USER###" with
password "###PASSWD"
end tell

and then in the UI prompt the user to enter credentials and save those
to a preferencs file locally and reload as needed on boot.

I keep a "ping.txt" file on the server to check for connectivity etc.

But, over the years I found that there were way too many scenarios to
try to manage from the app. So now I take the "low road"  -- ping the
remote machine by asking for a file... if I don't get it, then prompt
the user "Please mount the remote volume" I still keep the user name and
password stored somewhere as there are odd moments when the server still
wants authentication, so we can provide that in the background as needed.

  I tried the above appleScript today in Mavericks and it still works.

Perhaps this is of some use to you, Pete:

command checkConnectivity tIP
# typically I will pass an IP for one of our domains on a remote web server
# assumes if user cannot get to the web server, then he's not even
connect to the network.
# there are other methods, but this one is pretty fail safe... of course
if there is an enterprise firewall
# preventing access to the outside while user can still see other
machines on the LAN, this won't work.

    put  hostAddressToName(tIP) into tServer
    if tServer is Empty then
       set the dialogData to  "Sorry, there is a connection problem.
Turn on airport or make sure your ethernet cable is pluggedin, then try
again."
       showStatus
       wait 1 second
       exit to top
    else
       CheckVarunaIsMounted
    end if

end checkConnectivity

command mountVaruna

    set the dialogData to  "Mounting Varuna..."
    showStatus
    put the uAppleScripts of  stack "KA-Media-Player" into tScripts
    set the itemdel to "|"
    do item 1 of tScripts as applescript
    checkVarunaIsMounted

end mountVaruna

command CheckVarunaIsMounted

    repeat ten times
       put url "file:/Volumes/Varuna/Sound Projects/Gurudeva Audio in
Process/Control-Files/KA-Media-Player_Access-Control.txt" into gControlFile
       if gControFile is not empty then
          loadACL
       else
          send checkVarunaIsMounted to me in 1 second
       end if
    end repeat

    if gControlFile is empty then
       mountVaruna