[Rant] Really annoying posts

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 24 08:08:34 EST 2015

Hi from Beautiful Brittany,

I’ve been programming for more than 40 years, and I will
certainly not give you a list of the programming languages
that I have used.
I have used all sorts of mechanisms to help me program
quickly and efficiently. My latest system is to write my
scripts using comments “Here, I search for the files I need”,
or “Here build the file list for future examination”.
Then, the next day, I fill in the script sections. It is almost
the same as doing a flow diagram before starting to
code - and has the same effect - Try and think of every
thing before writing one line of script.
With only 25 years of Hypercard and LiveCode coding
behind me, I still run foul of some complex Livecode.
One day, I will sit down and study “Regex” examples
which at this moment go right over the top of my head.

Recently, I wanted to pick out scripts from my stacks, and
display them, but I didn’t know how to get hold of Stack scripts
such as “openStack”, so I prepared a post to you guys asking
for help. But, before sending my post, I went “googling”, and
after an hour, I came across Script Reporter by Stewart  Lynch
and Sarah Reichelt.
Having perused the stack for some time, I realised that the only
thing I really needed to understand was :
“repeat with k = 1 to the number of controls on card j of stack tStack
The rest was far too painful to follow, in spite of my experience.
But I had my answer, and prompty scrubbed my call for help.

As for “Regex”, I will just have to invest some time in finding out
all about its POWER. After all, it can’t be that difficult …..

There is still so much I don’t “grab” in LiveCode, …. but

To second Richmonds Rant “Really Annoying Posts”,
 I will do my utmost to stop asking “lazy” questions …….

-Francis