More Unicode STuff
pete at lcsql.com
Fri Feb 13 19:23:32 CET 2015
Thanks Kay. I tried looking at the db with the Firefox SQLite Manager
plugin and sure enough it doesn't display correctly. In this case, the
accented characters simply aren't there.
I went back and imported the data again, this time encoding the data as
UTF8. Now it displays correctly in both SQLiteAdmin (with decoding) and in
the Firefox plugin.
My brain is too fried to figure out why this should be so my plan is to
just always encode/decode stuff when importing/displaying.
On Thu Feb 12 2015 at 6:52:44 PM Kay C Lan <lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you looked at your data using another db management tool?
> My own limited experience of dealing with UTF8 with LC 7 and sqlite is that
> if I don't textEncode(data,"utf8") into SQLite and textDecode(data,"utf8")
> out of the db, then although all the data goes and comes back OK, if I look
> at the db with another program the data isn't the same - most likely any
> characters that are suppose to have an umlat or similar are instead
> displayed with a blank space next to them. Conversley if I take some other
> db that already contains UTF8 data with the characters appearing correctly
> in another program and just read them straight into LC, then I get
> scrambled characters.
> So if I want the charcters to appear correctly in everything, I need to
> textEncode() and textDecode().
> This is purely for UTF8. Not sure how Mac Roman effects the issue.
> use-livecode mailing list
> use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
More information about the use-livecode