Open Source Kickstarter Report Card

RunRevPlanet feed at smpcsupport.com
Mon Aug 17 23:58:26 EDT 2015

Peter said:

 > I have no doubt that these promises
 > were very genuine. Clearly, LiveCode
 > hasn’t been able to deliver them in
 > the time they expected.

I never doubt the sincerity of LiveCode Ltd. and the team behind it.

But when a major feature which would be a tangible improvement for *everyone*
using LiveCode is pushed to the end of the roadmap it is frustrating.

* First it was open source that was going to help make the Next Generation IDE.

* Then it was the magic of widgets that would boost productivity.

* But I later discover the "LiveCode Builder" language needs to be finished to
empower widgets and IDE.

* In the meantime, LiveCode HTML 5 deployment is also coming, soon...

Here is my point and regret: every month that a new user downloads LiveCode,
plays with the IDE, and then leaves (likely never return) and laughs with her
colleagues about a code editor that doesn't have bookmarks or search and replace
in selected text, is a month wasted in building up the LiveCode user base.

Forget the big plans and clever stuff like code completion or code tips, just
deliver basic functionality that should be standard in any IDE worthy of he name
Integrated Development Environment straight out of the box and then maybe the
"tire kickers" will stay and the number of users grow.

--
Scott McDonald
"Components, Controls, Tools and Resources for LiveCode"