RANT: LC6.7.4 and AVFoundation player

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Mon Apr 20 17:01:32 EDT 2015

I love LiveCode. It is my favorite development language and I have
written code in a LOT of different languages over the years.

However, it just irked me so damn much that I must VENT.

Prior to LC6.7.x and the switch to the AVFoundation API if you:
set the filename of player X to "/Users/.../Somemediafile.mov"
and later
put the filename of player X into tSomeFile
tSomeFile contained the exact same local file path, i.e
"/Users/.../Somemediafile.mov"

In LC6.7.4 however, if you
set the filename of player X to "C:/Users/.../Somemediafile.mov"
and later
put the filename of player X into tSomeFile
tSomeFile now contains "file://C:/Users/.../Somemediafile.mov" which if
you were trying to compare to another variable which had the same file
name really f$%ks things up since the comparison fails.
The adding of "file://" URI prefix just cost me an entire day of debugging.

This really really should have been something that was in the Release
Notes dear folks at RunRev.