._!

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 26 17:40:17 EDT 2014

When copying files from a Mac to a volume formatted with NTFS or other
Windows-compatible format, for each Mac file it also creates a second
file with the same name but with "._" prepended to it.

E.g., this:

    MyFile1.txt
    MyFile2.txt

...becomes:

    ._MyFile1.txt
    ._MyFile2.txt
    MyFile1.txt
    MyFile2.txt

This is course annoying, and worse, for many people I run into it's also
confusing as well.

Strangely, the otherwise-usability-conscious Apple has provided no
Preferences setting in the Finder for this sad behavior.

Anyone here know if there's some command-line option we can set to tell
the Mac to stop doing that?

I used to write scripts to remove them after the fact, but it would be
much simpler/saner to just turn that off altogether.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems