Where are these stacks being cached?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Aug 13 17:01:14 EDT 2014

In today's episode, our hero has uploaded new copies of revised stacks
to Amazon Web Services. We have verified that no older copies exist
there anywhere, including on all edge servers.

Back at home, a LC splash app retrieves these stacks from the server.
Much of the time an older version of the stack is always retrieved. The
problem is dependent on the computer. If the computer has opened that
stack before, the old version is shown. On a computer that has never
opened the stack before, the new version is shown.

This would be normal if it were all in the same session, but the problem
persists after restarting the app, restarting the computer, and even
after waiting several hours, restarting the computer, and then
restarting the app. Yesterday it took perhaps 8 hours before the updated
stacks could be retrieved on a computer that had loaded the stack
previously.

There would appear to be a cache somewhere that is not updating often
enough. Since it is computer specific, it must be based on MAC address,
but we can't figure out where. Does the computer cache files even if
they aren't web browser temp files? How about the local router? How
about the cable broadband router? It seems unlikely that AWS would send
a cached version, since all the requests are coming from the same local
LAN and I believe AWS would only see the "outside" IP, not the MAC
address. But maybe that's wrong?

Anyone know where the old stacks are being stored? We want only the
latest versions to load as soon as they are made available.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com