Will Apple Gatekeeper changes break our standalones?

tbodine bodine at bodinetraininggames.com
Mon Aug 11 14:18:54 EDT 2014

Apple sent developers this news last week:

"With the release of OS X Mavericks 10.9.5, the way that OS X recognizes
signed apps will change. Signatures created with OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5
or earlier (v1 signatures) will be obsoleted and Gatekeeper will no longer
recognize them. Users may receive a Gatekeeper warning and will need to
exempt your app to continue using it. To ensure your apps will run without
warning on updated versions of OS X, they must be signed on OS X Mavericks
10.9 or later (v2 signatures)."

Wondering if this part ("Users may receive a Gatekeeper warning and will
need to exempt your app to continue using it.") is a one-time exemption or
will the warning appear every time a user runs that  standalone?

Also, from the rest of the Apple message about Gatekeeper, sounds like this
has potential to disrupt other standalones due to new bundle structure
requirements for codesigning...

"Structure your bundle according to the signature evaluation requirements
for OS X Mavericks 10.9 or later. Considerations include:
    - Signed code should only be placed in directories where the system
expects to find signed code.
    - Resources should not be located in directories where the system
expects to find signed code.
    - The --resource-rules flag and ResourceRules.plist are not supported."

My concern is that resources (external images, sound files, external stacks)
stored in folders within the Mac's app bundle may run into trouble with the
Gatekeeper update or codesigning process.

Would like to hear from those more experienced than I in dealing with
Apple's changes and what this may mean to LC authors.

Thanks,
Tom