Image File Size Reduction

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 6 20:52:44 EDT 2014

Ray wrote:

 > Does anybody know of a way to reduce an image's disk size from within
 > Livecode?
 >
 > Specifically, I'd like to be able to:
 >     1)  change the file from PNG to JPEG

  import PNG; export as JPEG

 >     2)  change the color depth for PNG's to 8 bit

   "export <target> as raw..." might help, maybe even "export with
palette..." (filter the Dictionary for "export" to see the new options)

But AFAIK JPEG is always full color anyway, so the biggest reduction in
size is likely to come from setting the JPEGQuality global property
before exporting in that format.

 >     3)  change the dimensions

   set the rect...

 > Regarding the last of these I know you can set it up and take a
 > snapshot but I was kind of looking for a way to do all three of
 > these without a lot of fussing around.

Any such transformations will involve some fussing around, but it's
often more fun to fuss around in LiveCode than anything else. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems