Strange!

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at icloud.com
Fri Apr 25 16:30:44 EDT 2014

Dan,

Sounds like some debugging is in order which, as I’m sure you know, can be a little tricky for iOS apps. I would recommend using put statements and/or answer dialogs to try and narrow down where the problem lies. Since preOpenCard fires but openCard does not, my guess is you’ve got an error occurring at some point during preOpenCard, and it’s basically stopping the app in its tracks.

A handy little script I picked up along the way allows you to easily see when runtime errors occur in any app, but I find it especially useful for mobile apps when testing in the simulator or on a device. I got this from Jacque Landman-Gay, who I believe originally got it from Andre Garzia.

	constant kDebug = "answer"

on log pMsg
    switch kDebug
        case "msg"
            put pMsg & cr
            break
        case "file"
            put pMsg & cr after url ("file:" && the effective filename of this stack & ".log")
            break
        case "answer" -- jlg: added
            answer pMsg titled the short name of this card
            break
    end switch
end log

on errorDialog pErr -- catches and reports system errors
    log pErr
end errorDialog

Place this in your stack script. Then set the kDebug constant to whichever debug method you prefer. If there’s an error somewhere in preOpenCard, this should catch it and help you get started with figuring out the problem

Good luck!

Chris

--
Chris Sheffield